Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Thing 7: RSS

My home computer is fed a regular diet of Really Simple Syndication feeds. It's contantly being fed. The New York Times technology blog. NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. Howard Garrett's organic gardening column from the Dallas Morning News. Wired magazine.

RSS amounts to an embarrasment of riches. I really don't read everything fed into my computer to the tabbed Yahoo! pages I've created. I just like knowing it is there if I want it.

I do like the display on Yahoo! better than on Google Reader. On Yahoo! everything is arranged into little boxes that I can rearrange. It's like a newspaper, only one that gives a whole new meaning to moveable type.

The Google Reader does give me more headlines to quickly scan, but the interface just isn't that appealing (OK, I am a visual learner). But I am going to keep Google Reader going as a way to capture current literature for my coursework in library science. Because really, it's really simple.

Image above from typogenerator.net

No comments:

Post a Comment